Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wii Fit. U fit? Nah, you overweight.


Ever feel sure about something and then start to feel uneasy about the decision due to the sheer volume of support from other people who have advised you differently? That's how I feel about the Wii Fit. I've played various videogame systems my whole life (Atari, Commodore 64, Colecovision, Nintendo, Playstation), so when the Wii was released it sounded like a cool idea to an old habit. And THEN, the Wii Fit, which to me seemed like some reject product placement "Total Recall." "In the 25th Century, workout in your home!" Eh, like with dumbbells or a workout video?

Turns out, many people I know have Wii Fits. And it includes both gamers with other consoles and non-gamers who bought the Wii strictly for the Wii Fit. Which leads me back to my original thought: can so many people be right and me be wrong about the Wii Fit being a ridiculous concept? Is the Wii Fit more about getting healthy than just playing games (which is all I've ever thought it was good for)?

To my relief, there's been some battles/arguments back and forth online about whether or not the Wii Fit actually does make you more fit and healthier. Battles have included the Wii Fit not correctly evaluating people's BMI measurements and accusations the Wii Fit simply doesn't work. These battles make me feel better because obvious there are others out there no sold yet.

So, I'll state my rationale for why the Wii Fit just seems like a fad to me:

  1. From a scientific point of view, performing "athletic" tasks on a computer footboard will not burn as many calories as doing it in real life.

  2. The only reason, I can think of, for someone to want to snowboard or do pilates on the Wii Fit, other than real life, is not wanting to leave the house.

  3. Wouldn't a gym membership or sports lessons be cheaper than a Wii console, a Wii Fit board and the games needed?


I mean, do you look at the guy in this photo and think he looks cool?

No comments: